Student Records Office


  • What does the Student Records Office do?

    The Student Records Office (SRO) offers various records-related services to members of the University community. Some of our key services include:

    • Providing copies of official transcripts
    • Providing duplicate degrees
    • Managing graduation ceremonies
    • Processing readmission appeals on behalf of the faculty readmission committees
    • Sending out result mailers per request at the end of each academic year
  • What does the Student Records Office not do?

    The SRO often gets requests related to services that we do not offer. A few of the things we cannot do are included below:

    What we cannot do Who you should contact
    Send you a copy of your fee account or explain anything related to your fee account Fees Office: 021 650 1704,
    Answer any admissions-related queries Admissions Office: 021 650 2128,
    Answer any queries related to Matric certificates or matric exemption Your faculty office or Admissions Office: 021 650 2128,
    Answer any registration-related queries Your faculty office
    Answer any curriculum-related queries Your faculty office
    Fix any incorrect marks that appear on your transcript Your faculty office
    Answer any housing-related queries Student Housing Accommodation & Advocacy Services: 021 650 2977,
    Provide any information regarding orientation Student Orientation & Advocacy Centre: 021 650 5082,
    Provide information specific to international students International Academic Programmes Office: 021 650 5667,
    Provide assistance with PeopleSoft access or PeopleSoft technical problems Student Systems and Support: 021 650 5227/4720,
    Photocopying Document Centre: 021 650 4071, Level 3, Masingene Building, Middle Campus
    Stationery provision UCT Bookstore: 021 650 2485/6, Level 3, Steve Biko Building, Upper Campus


  • How do I contact the Student Records Office?

    You can e-mail the Student Records Office at

    You can call us on 021 650 3595.

    You can also come in to our offices on level 4 of the Masingene Building on Middle Campus.

  • How can I get a copy of my results?

    There are two ways in which you can get a copy of your results.

    If you would like a copy of your results posted to you at the end of the academic year:

    1. Log into PeopleSoft Self-service (
    2. Go to ‘My Academics’ and ‘End of Year Results
    3. In ‘End of Year Results’, select the term for which you would like results (i.e. the year), and the address to which the results should be sent.

      Please note: This service is only offered at the end of each academic year. You cannot request results in the middle of the year.

     If you would like a copy of your official academic transcript:

    Go to our website ( and follow the instructions given there.

    If you have special requests (e.g. you would like 3 copies, separately sealed, or you will be arranging for your transcripts to be couriered), please communicate this clearly to the SRO, in writing. Your academic transcript is a complete record of your time at UCT and will include all your grades, and a brief statement on your conduct.

    We cannot issue a transcript with any erasures or changes. UCT only offers full academic transcripts.
  • Why do I have to pay a fee for my transcripts/duplicates?

    You will note that there is an administrative fee attached to many of the services we offer. This fee covers our administrative processes and, in the case of transcripts or duplicates, the costs of printing the documents you have requested.

    Please note that this fee can be paid at the Cashiers Office, or via EFT or by completing the Credit Card Form. The amount cannot be deducted from your student fee account.
  • How do I get a certificate of good conduct?

    UCT does not issue certificates of good conduct. Instead, we include a statement on your transcript that speaks to your conduct. Should this statement not suffice, the SRO can offer you a letter that explains the University’s policy with regard to certificates of conduct.

  • What is a course outline and do I need it?

    Along with your transcript, the SRO can offer you copies of your course outlines. A course outline is a brief (5 – 6 lines) summary from the faculty handbook of that year which details the contents of a course and the assessment criteria. Very few students and alumni need this, but in the rare case where you do, we can provide you with stamped copies for a fee.

  • Can the Student Records Office give me a copy of my degree certificate?

    UCT only issues one original degree certificate. This will be given to you at your graduation ceremony or will be posted to you after the ceremony if you request this.

    In the event that you lose your original certificate, the University can offer you a duplicate. We will only issue one duplicate. If you need to request a duplicate, go to our website (/students/current-students/student-records/academic-records) and follow the instructions given there.

  • What do I do if I need proof of registration?

    Currently registered students should have access to PeopleSoft. You can generate a proof of registration letter that details the programme in which you are registered and the courses you will be taking.

    You can do this by following these instructions:

    1. Log in to PeopleSoft ( with your student number and password, and click on Self-Service.
    2. Select the ‘Proof of registration’ option and the year you require (this can be found on the drop-down menu 'Academic records' on the Student Centre)
    3. Follow the link and click on the green e-mail icon to send it to your student email account
    4. Log in to your student e-mail account (
    5. Print out the proof of registration letter and bring it to the Student Records Office or take it to your faculty office to be stamped.
  • What do I do if I need proof residence?

    If you reside in a UCT residence, see the Student Housing Office for a proof of residence document. If you do not live in a UCT residence, you can update your term residential address on PeopleSoft and request a proof of registration letter. The letter will reflect your term address.

    (However, please note that if you print a proof of registration letter to prove your address, the letter does state that it is a self-declared address, and as such some banks/institutions do not accept it as sufficient proof.)

  • Does the Student Records Office have anything to do with examinations?

    Yes and no.

    The Examinations Office is responsible for the logistical arrangements around exams. If you need to apply for a deferred exam, or need extra time in your exams, you can apply through the SRO. If you believe that there has been an error in the marking of your script or any other examined material, we encourage you to approach your department and ask to see your script.

  • Is the Student Records Office able to assist me after I’ve left the University?

    The SRO provides a variety of services to the alumni community. Some of the services we offer include:

    • Providing copies of official transcripts
    • Providing duplicate degrees
    • Providing letters confirming that your degree was taught and examined in English
    • Providing letters confirming your registration period at UCT and the qualifications conferred upon you.