Home > Fees & funding > US Federal Aid > Types of loans
US Federal Aid
Home > Fees & funding > US Federal Aid > Types of loans

Types of loans

Click here for the Interest rates & loan fees.

The Direct loan is a fixed-rate student loan made to undergraduate and graduate students attending college or university at least half-time. The US DOE is your lender.


  • You must be a US citizen or national, a US permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen.
  • You are not completing research work in the United States (Master's and PhD students).

Type of loans

Subsidized Direct Loan

Only offered to Dependant Undergraduate students. Subsidized Direct Loans are need-based, and interest does not accrue on these loans while you are in school, during the six-month grace period and during a deferment period.

Unsubsidised Direct Loan

Unsubsidised Direct Loans are not need-based. You are responsible for all the interest that accrues on the loan, including whilst in school.

Graduate & Parent PLUS Loan

The federally sponsored Parent PLUS loan is a low interest student loan for parents of undergraduate, dependant students.

Independent students doing a Post Graduate degree can apply for the Graduate Plus loan

  • With a PLUS loan, you may borrow up to the full cost of attendance, less other financial aid received including Federal Direct loans.
  • A credit check is required.
  • You are responsible for all interest that accrues on the PLUS loan.
  • Repayment on PLUS loans begins once the loan is fully disbursement. However, the loan can be deferred while still in school.

Private Loan

Students can use private education loans to borrow the difference between their Federal Loans and their calculated Cost of Attendance.

The decision on which Private loan provider to use is entirely your choice, so it is important that you research carefully to find the best conditions that suit you.

Examples of Private loan providers: Sallie Mae Student Loans and Nelnet

NB: For student visa application purposes, you may be required to provide evidence that you have applied and have been approved a Private Loan. As a university we only have the authority to approve your Direct Loans. Please therefore contact your Private loan provider to supply you with the loan confirmation.