This course will introduce students, researchers, and officials in state agencies to the key concepts in measuring income, expenditure, poverty, and inequality. There will also be a strong practical component where participants will use survey data to undertake welfare measurement and analysis.
• Introduction to the measurement of income and expenditure,
• Measuring poverty and poverty lines,
• Practical issues in measuring poverty,
• Measuring Inequality,
• Practical issues in measuring inequality,
• Asset indices as alternative measures of well-being,
• Practical issues in creating and using asset indices.
80% attendance is required and you will be issued with a UCT certificate of attendance.